The rate-limiting steps of the electrolysis of water solution, taking into account hydrogen evolution overpotential were considered. A functional relationship between the electrical resistivity of 3–5 dm metals and their quantization energy of atomic electrons, as well as the coordination of metal atoms and hydrogen compounds, has been revealed. The rule of selecting effective metals for cathodes has been validated. Based on these rules, a reduction-relay mechanism of the hydrogen migration process in the electrical double layer in the electrochemical reduction of TiO2+ ions to Ti3+ and Fe3+ to Fe2+ in sulfuric acid process solutions for the production of pigment titanium dioxide was proposed. The method of the multistage electrochemical reduction of Fe3+ and [TiO2+ * nH2O] in process solutions for the production of titanium dioxide was design based on this study.
2. Antropov L.І. Teoreticheskaya elektrohimiya. K.: Lybid’. 1993. 544 p. (In Russian)
3. Fedorenko A. M., Fedorenko A. A. Quantum theory of electronic conductivity of substances and problems of electrochemistry. Simferopol’: IP Baranovskiy A.E. RF Respublika Krym. 2019. 200 p. (In Russian)
4. Fetter K. Electrochemical kinetics. M.: Khimiya. 1967. 856 p. (In Germany)
5. Pershina, E.D., Karpushin, N.A. &Kazdobin, K.A. Aluminosilicate conductivity at the presence of water. Surf. Engin. Appl. Electrochem. 2010.46: 339–347.
6. Bockris J. O’M. and Reddy A. K. N.. Modern Electrochemistry 1:Ionics. Plenum Press, New York. 1998.
7. Henderson, D., &Boda, D. Insights from theory and simulation on the electrical double layer. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 2009. 11(20): 3822–3830.
8. Skorchelletti V.V. Theoretical electrochemistry. Leningrad: Khimiya. 1974. (In Russian)
9. Salem R.R. Double layer theory. Moscow: Fizmatlit. 2015. (In Russian)
10. Zatsepina G.N. Properties and structure of water. Moscow: Moscow State University Press. 1974. (In Russian)
11. Pershina, E.D., Kazdobin, K.A. Conductivity of water media as an alternative of electronic and ionic transfer. J. Water Chem. Technol. 2008. 30: 358–367.
12. Pershina, E.D., Kokhanenko, V.V., Maslyuk, L.N. et al. Conductivity of aqueous suspensions of alumosilicates. Surf. Engin. Appl.Electrochem. 2011. 47: 441–445.
13. Kotton F., UilkinsonDzh. Sovremennaya neorganicheskaya himiya chast’. 1. M.: Mir. 1969. 224 p. (In Russian)
14. Henrici-Olive G., Olive S. Coordination and catalysis. Moscow: Mir. 1980. (In Russian)
15. Bairachnyi B.I., Fedorenko A.A., Tulskii G.G. et al. Resurso sberegayushchie elektrohimicheskie processy v proizvodstve pigmentnogo dioksida titana. Zhurnal prikladnoj himii. 2013. 86(7): 1069–1073. (In Russian)