New ytterbium (III) compounds with β-diketones (2,7-dimethyl-octene-1-dione-3,5 and 2,6-dimethylheptene-1-dione-3,5) and their derivatives with phenanthroline have been synthesized. The composition and chemical structure of the obtained complexes have been determined by several Physico-chemical investigations. It has been shown, that the Yb (III) ion coordinates three ligand molecules and the coordination sphere of the complexes is supplemented by two molecules of water or a molecule of phenanthroline. It has been shown that the СN of the ytterbium ion is 8, the coordination polyhedron is a square antiprism, and the complex is characterized by no cubic symmetry. All synthesized compounds exhibit intense IR luminescence. The significant increase in the relative emission intensity of mixed ligand complexes is due to the additional antenna effect of the phenanthroline molecule.
2. Santos H.P., Gomes E.S., Santos M.V., D’Oliveira K.A., Cuin A., Martins J.S., Quirino W.G., Marques L.F. Synthesis, structures and spectroscopy of three new lanthanide β-diketonate complexes with 4,4’-dimethyl-2,2’-bipyridine. Near-infrared electroluminescence of ytterbium (III) complex in OLED. InorganicaChimicaActa. 2018. doi: 10.1016/j.ica.2018.09.030.
3. Choppin G.R., Gschneidner K.A., Eyring L., Lander G.H. Lanthanides/Actinides: Physics–II, Volume 19, 1st Edition. Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths. 1994. 18: 1–674.
4. Mara D., Artizzu F., Laforce B., Vincze L., Hecke K. V., Deun R. V., Kaczmarek A. M. Novel tetrakis lanthanide β-diketonate complexes: Structural study, luminescence properties and temperature sensing Journal of Luminescence. 2019. 213: 343–355.
5. Zhang X ,. Liu L., Yu C., Li H., Fu G., Lü X., Wong W.-K., Jones R.A. Highly efficient near-infrared (NIR) luminescent tris-β-diketonate Yb3+complex in solution and in PMMA. Inorganic Chemistry Communications. 2016. 70:153–156.
6. Wang X., Zhu Q., Li J.-G., Hu Z., Zhu G.,WangC.La2O2S:Tm/Yb as a novel phosphor for highly pure near-infrared upconversion luminescence. ScriptaMaterialia. 2018.149: 121–124.
7. Bünzli J.-C. G. Review: Lanthanide coordination chemistry: from old concepts to coordination polymers. Journal of Coordination Chemistry, 2014. doi: 10.1080/00958972.2014.957201.
8. Berezhnytska O.S., Trunova O.K., Ivakha N.B., Savchenko I.O., Rohovtsov O.O., Gudima A.O. The method of obtaining a new nanoscale metalopolymer of Nd. Ukrainian patentfor utility model № 100305. [in Ukrainian]
9. Ivakha N.B., Berezhnytska O.S., Rohovtsov O.O., Trunova O.K. Complexes of Neodium(III) and Erbium(III) with new unsaturated β-diketones. Ukrainian Chemical Journal. 2019. 85 (6): 87–96. [in Ukrainian]
10. Nakamoto K. Infrared spectroscopy of inorganic and coordination compounds. – М.: Mir.1991: 536. [in Russian]
11. Bettencourt Dias A. Lanthanides: Electronic Structure.Encyclopedia of Inorganic and Bioinorganic Chemistry.2012. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781119951438.eibc2009.
12. Crosby G.A., Kasha M. Intramolecular energy transfer in ytterbium organic chelates. Spectrochim. Acta. 1958. 10: 377–382.
13. Ivakha N.B., Berezhnytska O.S., Trunova O.K., Rusakova N.V., Smola S.S., Zheleznova L.I. New β-dicarbonyl complexes Nd, Er, Yb emitting in the IR region. Ukrainian Chemical Journal. 2015. 81 (12): 104–110. [in Ukrainian]
14. Zhuravlyov S., Rusakova N., Korovin Yu. 4f-Luminescence of ytterbium ions in the complexes with asymmetric porphyrins. Journal of Alloys and Compounds. 2008.451 (1–2): 334–337.
15. Comby S, Bünzli J C G. Lanthanide near-infrared luminescence in molecular probes and devices. Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science B.V. 2007.37: 235.
16. G.Bünzli J.-C. Lanthanide Luminescence: From a Mystery to Rationalization, Understanding, and Applications. Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths. 2016. 287 (50): 141–176.
17. Ivakha N. B., Savchenko I. O., Berezhnytska O. S., Rusakova N. V., Trunova O. K. Ytterbium metal polymers as precursors of luminescent materials emitting in the near infrared region. Applied Nanoscience. 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13204-020-01342-w.
18. Berezhnytska O. S., Ivakha N. B., Trunova O. K., Savchenko I. O., Rusakova N. V. The new NIR-emitting compounds based on β- dicarbonyl ligands. Molecular Crystals and Liquid Crystals. 2018. 670 (1): 20–30.