Materials based on La2O3–Lu2O3 system are promising candidates for a wide range of applications, but the phase relationship has not been studied systematically previously. To address this challenge, the subsection of the phase diagram for 1500 and 1600 °C have been elucidated. The samples of different compositions have been prepared from nitrate acid solutions by evaporation, drying and heat treatment at 1100, 1500 and 1600 °C. The phase relations in the binary La2O3–Lu2O3 system at 1500 and 1600 °C were studied from the heat treated samples using X-ray diffraction analysis and scanning electron microscopy in the overall concentration range. The X–ray analysis of the samples was performed by powder method using DRON-3 at room temperature (CuKa radiation). It was established that in the binary La2O3–Lu2O3 system there exist fields of solid solutions based on hexagonal (A) modification of La2O3, cubic (C) modification of Lu2O3, and with perovskite–type structure of LaLuO3 (R) with rhombic distortions. The systematic study that covered whole composition range excluded formation of new phases. The systematic study that covered whole composition range excluded formation of new phases. The boundaries of mutual solubility and concentration dependences the lattice parameters for all phases have been determined. The solubility of Lu2O3 in the hexagonal А–lanthanum modification is ~ 9 mol. % at 1500 and 1600 °С. The solubility of La2O3 in the cubic C–Lu2O3 is ~ 4 mol. % at 1500 and 7 mol. % at 1600 °С.
2. Liu Zehua, Shuxing Li, Yihua Huang, Lujie Wang,Yirong Yao, Tao Long, Xiumin Yao, Xuejian Liu, Zhengren Huang. Composite ceramic with high saturation input powder in solid-state laser lighting: Microstructure, properties, and luminous emittances. Ceramics International. 2018. 44(16): 20232.
3. Krystal Jones Ivy, Zachary M. Seeley, Nerine J. Cherepy, Eric B. Duoss, Stephen A. Payne. Direct ink write fabrication of transparent ceramic gain media. Optical Materials. 2018. 75: 19.
4. Qihua Zhu, Qiangqiang Zhu, Benxue Jiang, Minghui Feng, Long Zhang. Fabrication of finegrained undoped Y2O3 transparent ce-ramic using nitrate pyrogenation synthesized nanopowders. Ceramics International. 2019. 45(5): 5339.
5. Zhang Yumin, Jung In-Ho. Critical evaluation of thermodynamic properties of rare earth sesquioxides (RE = La, Ce, Pr, Nd, Pm, Sm, Eu, Gd, Tb, Dy, Ho, Er, Tm, Yb, Lu, Sc and Y). Calphad. – 2017. 58: 169.
6. Navrotsky Alexandra, Lee Wingyee, Mielewczyk-Gryn Aleksandra, V.Ushakov Sergey, Anderko Andre, Wu Haohan, E. Riman Richard. Thermodynamics of solid phases containing rare earth oxides. The Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics. 2015. 88: 126.
7. Urakami R., Yukio Sato, Masayoshi Ogushi, Takeshi Nishiyama, Aoi Goto, Kazuhiro Yamada, Ryo Teranishi, Kenji Kaneko, Mikito Kitayama. Phase transformation and interface segregation behavior in Si3N4 ceramics sintered with La2O3–Lu2O3 mixed additive. Journal of the American Ceramic Society. 2017. 100(3): 1231.
8. Proessdorf A., Michael Niehle, Frank Grosse, Peter Rodenbach, Michael Hanke,Achim Trampert. Strain dynamics during La2O3/Lu2O3 superlattice and alloy formation. Journal of Applied Physics. 2016. 119(21): 215.
9. Tabata T., Kita K., Toriumi A. Amorphous High-k LaLuO3 Dielectric Film for Ge MIS Gate Stack. International Conference on Solid State Devices and Materials, Tsukuba, 2008, 14-A-1-4:14.
10. Toropov S. A. State diagrams of refrac-tory oxide systems. Russ.
11. Xiong K., Robertson J. Electronic structure of oxygen vacancies in La2O3, Lu2O3 and LaLuO3. Microelectronic engineering. 2009. 86(7-9): 1672.
12. Matvei Zinkevich. Thermodynamics of rare earth sesguioxides. Progress in Materials Science. 2007. 52: 597.